Monday, January 9, 2012

It's Monday...Already?

Can you believe it's Monday morning already.  As an "adult" in the "real world", I am astonished at just how fast the weekends go.  This weekend, I felt like I barely had time to catch my breath.

As you have probably read in my previous post, my Grandma's viewing and funeral were this weekend.  Those events were so emotionally draining, I don't think I can even begin to describe it. I will have to say however, that things went much smoother than I thought and I was really proud of all my family, especially my mom (whose heart is truly broken with my Grandma's passing).

Thankfully, I had the support of my nearest and dearest.  From my roommate from college (and her boyfriend), to my best friend since kindergarten, to my twin bestie, to the new amazing guy in my life, to my siblings; I was surrounded by love.

There were so many people at the funeral that the two rooms in the funeral home were filled and they had chairs set in the lobby for people as well. The funeral procession to the cemetery spanned miles, and held traffic up for a good fifteen minutes. My grandma had 15 children (2 died as infants, and 3 died as adults, leaving 10 surviving children), 40 grandchildren 76 great grandchildren, and 20+ great great grandchildren. She was truly an amazing woman.

The emotions that took over during the funeral service were so intense.  My brothers cried, and I mean they cried hard.  My father cried so hard he could barely speak.  My heart broke.

I was asked to be a pallbearer for the funeral and I accepted.  I was very nervous, as I am a week 120 pound female.  However, I had the emotional support of my family behind me, as well as the physical support of my brothers and other family members.  Despite my nerves, everything turned out fine and I can say I am proud to have been able to do that.

At the cemetery it was such a site to see everyone walking down the sloped of tombstones.  I've never seen that many people in a cemetery.  I did manage to take a few photos with my phone to give to my mom.  Once we left the cemetery, we went to our church for the traditional potluck family social.  It was packed!  I couldn't believe the amount of food and people we crammed into a small church basement.  It was estimated that 144 people were at the church alone, I can't image how many it would total with the viewing, funeral, and cemetery added.

My Grandma was a spectacular person.  She raised a crop of children and grandchildren, she could cook a meal to feed an army, she would hug you tight and always tell you she loved you.  She never had her driver's license and barely left home.  She was a spelling bee winner and loved to play cards and Scrabble.

I am blessed to have had her in my 22 years of live.  I am honestly going to be lost without her in my remaining years.

No comments:

Post a Comment