Monday, November 21, 2011

Turkey Day = Short Work Week

I cannot express how excited for Thanksgiving I am.  While in college, I lived for the holiday breaks where you get a few days off to gorge yourself with food, sleep in, catch up on TV time, and shop.  As I entered the adult professsional world, I was really afraid that I would loose that excitement for the holidays, because the breaks would be shorter and I am closer to family.

I couldn't have been more off.  I'm looking forward to the holiday breaks more so as an "adult" then as a student.  While I was at school, I had a ton of friends to meet up with, take studying breaks with, go out with, and lots of time to vent about the horrors of college homework and projects. 

While I love my job and am growing in my professional development,  I seriously can not emphasis how wonderful it feels to know I have a 2 day work week (and working Wednesday from home), and will conclude my week with pajamas, turkey, and lots of Black Friday shopping. I feel so energized.

I'm convinced that we should have more holidays to make employees re-energized about their jobs and the ability to find the passion they might be lacking in their career. It's important for employees to be able to take the time they need in their lives to regroup and gather their thoughts.

Everyone has a life outside of their career, and it's not always a sunshine and smiles kind of life.  People have broken families, marriages, and relationships. People have illnesses, emergencies, and deaths.  People even have bad days.  Can you imagine?

Ok, my humor isn't the best, but you know what I mean.  At the holiday's I think it's important for everyone to extend a helping hand to those around us and be more understanding with bosses, employees, and co-workers. 

I'm proud to say that at Stage of Life, I have a flexible work schedule that gives me the wiggle room for emergencies, car problems, and bad days.  I would like to encourage others to give the same flexibility to their employees, it might just be the energizing kick start to a new project, year, or position.

I also think the United States should consider taking up siesta, but that's just me...

No comments:

Post a Comment